Scientists of the Filatov Institute have made a great contribution in the development of the world and national ophthalmology for they worked out a number of priority researches on the most pressing ophthalmic issues.
At the Filatov Institute:
- First introduced a method of Tissue Therapy (1933).
- First introduced penetrating keratoplasty (1937).
- First introduced laser in ophthalmology (1963).
- First introduced integrated treatment for eye burns (1973).
- First used high-frequency electrical welding in vitreoretinal surgery (2009).
- Developed effective methods for surgical treatment of xerosis, which was considered to be incurable and leading to blindness.
- Created a set of equipment and new methods for amblyopia treatment.
- Introduced into the clinical practice laser therapy methods for patients with various dystrophic diseases of the eye.
The results of engineering and inventive work are development and manufacture of sets of eye tools for keratoplasty, trepans, keratographs, refractometers, equipment for treating amplyopia and strabismus. New models of lasers, new modules of ultrasonic and magnet therapeutic equipment, TV ophthalmoscope, cryotherapy apparatus and many others were designed by the talented specialists of the Institute.
The Filatov Institute is proud of a pleiad of eminent scientists-ophthalmologists:
• BARHASH S.O. – doctor of medical science, professor, a disciple of the academician V.P.Filatov, worked at the institute from 1945 to 1976, headed the department of children's ophthalmology, worked out the problems of corneal transplantation, surgical treatment of congenital pathologies of vision (cataract, glaucoma, ptosis), retinal detachment, peculiarities of eye and orbit tumors treatment in children.
• BUSHMICH D.G. – doctor of medical science, professor, worked at the institute from 1939 to 1976, headed the department of corneal transplantation, developed indications to different kinds of keratoplasty on the leukomas eye, classification of leukomas, improved operative technique for penetrating keratoplasty, therapeutic methods for postoperative consequences of corneal transplantation, worked out the problem of secondary glaucoma in leucomas).
• VIT V.V. - doctor of medical science, professor, head of the laboratory of pathomorphology and immunology, Deputy Director for science, has been working at the Institute since 1973, the basic directions of his scientific research are pathological anatomy and medical pathomorphosis of malignant neoplasms of the human eye uveal tract.
• VOINO-YASENETSKY V.V. – doctor of medical science, professor, disciple of the academician V.P.Filatov, worked at the institute from 1946 to 1986, created and headed pathomorphologic laboratory, collected the unique museum of macro- and micropreparations for scientific and training work of ophthalmologists, was a pioneer of the Soviet transplantology, studied the processes of cornea regeneration and leukoma pathology, worked out a method of intralamellar keratoplasty, described pathological anatomy of the eye tumors, secondary dystrophies, etc.
• GORGILADZE T.YU. – doctor of medical science, professor, head of the department of corneal pathology, worked at the institute from 1954 to 1996, studied the problems of transplantation and grafting of the donor cornea, secondary glaucoma in leukomas and keratoplasty, work rehabilitation of the disabled in vision, etc.
• KASHINTSEVA L. T. - doctor of medical science, professor, Honored worker of science and technology of Ukraine, has been working at the Institute since 1950, develops problems of clinical course and treatment of glaucoma in patients with diabetes mellitus, proposed a new concept of pathogenesis of open-angle glaucoma, created a new direction "Ophthalmoendocrinology", new models of primary glaucoma.
• KOVALEV I.F. – doctor of medical science, professor, S.I.Vavilov's prize winner, worked at the institute from 1947 to 1979 as a head of the laboratory of tissue culture and medical radiobiology, Deputy Director for science, developed a problem of biological influence of laser and ultra-violet radiation, opened and studied a phenomenon of photoreactivation, mechanisms of injuring effect of ionizing radiation – radiation cataracts, developed problems of tissue therapy and corneal transplantation.
• LEGEZA G.V. – doctor of medical science, professor, the State prize of Ukraine winner, worked at the institute from 1950 to 2001, headed the department of eye burns, developed, modified and introduced into ophthalmologic practice new methods of eye burns treatment (auto- and homoplasty) and their severe consequences, which enabled to reduce disability and to restore sight in patients, who were considered hopeless earlier.
• LINNIK L.A. – doctor of medical science, professor, S.I.Vavilov's prize winner, headed the laboratory of laser application in ophthalmology, worked at the institute from 1954 to 2012, a pioneer of scientific research and experimental - clinical trials of laser radiation effect on the eye, founder of laser technologies in clinical ophthalmology.
• MARMUR R.K. – doctor of medical science, professor, the winner of the State prize of Ukraine, worked at the institute from 1957 to 1986, created and supervised over problem laboratory of ultrasound, was a pioneer of application of ultrasound in ophthalmology, one of the leading experts of the USSR in the field of medical-biological acoustics. His basic researches allowed to cancel a long existing prohibition concerning application of ultrasound «on the area of the skull and, in particular, on the area of the eye ". Due to his development native ophthalmology was enriched by new effective methods of ultrasonic diagnostics and therapy of eye diseases.
• PONOMARCHUK V. S. - doctor of medical science, professor, head of the laboratory of functional methods of the eye examination, has been working at the Institute since 1974, created a new direction in ophthalmology - "autonomic ophthalmology", developed a unique complex of diagnostic techniques for early preclinical diagnostics of the visual analyzer pathology, a number of diagnostic and medical ophthalmologic stimulators such as "Phosphen", which are widely introduced into clinical practice.
• SKRIPNICHENKO Z.M. – doctor of medical science, professor, head of the department of eye traumas, worked at the institute from 1946 to 1981, for the first time established character and possibility of the prevention of primary toxic glaucoma under the influence of tetraethyl lead, developed original operations on the iris, initiator of creation of the Republican ophthalmotraumatologic center on the basis of the institute.
• SOLOVJEVA V.P. – doctor of medical science, professor, disciple of the academician V.P.Filatov, Honored worker of science and technology of Ukraine, was a head of the laboratory of pharmacology of tissue preparations, worked at the institute from 1951 to 2001, developed a number of new tissue preparations, gave their pharmacological estimation, studied the mechanism of action, introduced them into the practice of health care and national economy.
• TERENTIEVA L. S. - doctor of medical science, professor, head of the ophthalmooncological department, has been working at the Institute since 1950 in the sphere of diagnostics and differential diagnostics of eye tumors, organ-saving treatment and rehabilitation of the patients with intraocular malignant neoplasms, created the school of ophthalmooncologists of Ukraine, heads the Republican ophthalmooncologic Center, which is created on the basis of the Institute.
• CHERIKCHI L.E. – doctor of medical science, professor, worked at the institute from 1949 to 1990 as the head of the department of physiotherapy, on the basis of various experimental studies in modeling eye pathology developed over 40 new methods and techniques of diagnostics and treatment of eye diseases including - electrophoresis, electroelimination, electrostimulation, studied pathochemistry of traumatic uveitis, different kinds of eye burns, sympathetic response of the eye, etc.
• SHEVALEV V.E. – doctor of medical science, professor, Honored worker of science and technology, worked at the institute from 1937 to 1964, was a head of the laboratory of general eye pathology, worked out the problems of trachoma and its elimination in Ukraine, proposed the operation on transplantation from Tenon's duct into the conjunctival cavity, new methods of retinal detachment treatment, glaucoma, paralytic squint, developed tables for determination of vision acuity.
• SHPAK N.I. – doctor of medical science, professor, the head of the department of uveites, worked at the institute from 1947 to 1989, studied problems of diseases of the retina and vascular membrane of the eye, in particular problems of uveitis, tissue therapy, phytoncides, developed etiological diagnostics of uveitis, new methods of their treatment, which were widely introduced into clinical practice.
• SHULGINA N.S. – doctor of medical science, professor, the winner of the State prize of Ukraine, worked at the institute from 1950 to 1990 as a head of the laboratory of tissue preservation and immunology, developed a problem of preservation and transplantation of donor tissues, was a pioneer of immunoophthalmologic research in the USSR, created a new direction in ophthalmology – “Immunology in ophthalmology”, developed and theoretically proved efficacy of immunotherapy of eye burns.