Department of Physiotherapy
Head: Tatiana Serebrina, Candidate of Medical Science, physiotherapist
Department – 048 729 84 48
In 1952 the Department was founded under the supervision of Professor L.Ye. Cherikchi and initiated by academician V.P.Filatov with the aim to develop therapeutic aid to eye diseases patients.
Main directions of work
Clinical work. It consists in providing physiotherapeutic aid to patients with various pathologies. The specialists of Department has developed, explained and introduced into the practice a method of trans-orbital electrophoresis of drug complexes and mixtures. They’ve also worked out more than 50 techniques for electrophoresis of drug complexes (antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, desensitizing, antioxidant, neurometabolic, immunomodulating, lysing and other actions) which are used in the comprehensive therapy for patients with uveitis of various etiologies (endogenic, traumatic, post-operating, burn), optic neuropathy, various retinal dystrophies including age-related macular dystrophy, diabetic retinopathy, endocrinology ophthalmopathy, progressing myopia and others.
A technique for electrostimulating of oculomotor muscles developed in the Department is a part of strabismus treatment. The technique leads to decreasing strabismus, enables to correct parallelism of visual axis and to work out binocular vision. Ciliar muscle electrostimulation is effective in the treatment of accommodation spasm, progressive myopia, computer syndrome, asthenopic complaints.
The following techniques are also used in the Department:
· Ultrasonic frequency electric pole for treatment of inflammations of the orbit, eyelids;
· Superhigh frequency electric pole – micro-wave therapy with a wide range of therapeutic effect which is used in iridocyclitis, neurogenic keratitis, various retinal dystrophies, optic nerve atrophy;
· Diadynamic therapy for treatment of inflammation of the eye with pain syndrome;
· D'Arsonval currents for functional blepharospasm, lacrymal atony, dry eye syndrome, traumatic ptosis.
Scientific work. There is research on creating new complex drugs in pharmacodynamic electrolytic accordance and the ways of their administration into the eye (electrophoresis, amplipulse-diadynamic phoresis).
In cooperation with Department of Inflammatory Pathology of the Eye the researchers are working out a complex of physiotherapeutic effects for treatment of such patients.
There is also studying abilities of electrostimulation of ocularmotor muscles and ciliar muscle in the treatment of refractive anomalies and strabismus. It aims to improve and work out new optimal regimes of different types of impulse currents.
- Microbiology Group of Sanitary Epidemiologic Department
- Laboratory for Ultrasonic Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Diseases
- Laboratory for Electron Microscopy
- Laboratory for Pathomorphological and Electron Microscopic Study
- Laboratory for Medical and Technical Developments
- Laboratory of Binocular Vision Disorders
- Laboratory for Immunological Research
- Department of Functional and Diagnostic Study
- Department of Physiotherapy
- Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory
- Laboratory of Biochemistry